Thursday, October 25, 2012

T-Shirt Scarf Tutorial (Total Cost $1)

While perusing the aisles of our local dollar store I stumbled upon a large stack of colorful t-shirts.  It brought me back to a cool fall day last October where I blistered and calloused my hands making somewhere around 20 scarves for my family and friends. I would say about 10 of those went to my niece who was 12 at the time.  I was in town visiting her and once we started we could not be stopped. We took several trips to Walgreens to buy them out of every color they offered.  

I hung up my scarf making scissors after that marathon of a day.
But I noticed on this last trip to see my family that my niece was still sporting the scarves we had made. Suddenly the blisters and carpal tunnel symptoms seemed worth my troubles.

So, I grabbed one of those $1 t-shirts and set to work making my daughter a cool fall accessory.  I had made myself one in orange last year, so now we can be all silly and matchy/matchy, no?

Here is my super simple tutorial.

When picking a t-shirt make sure that there is no side seam, or crazy design on the front.
If it is for a child, use an adult size small or medium.  If it is for yourself go as big as you can.


Cut the bottom half of the t-shirt off right under the sleeves. 
The top half will be useless to you now, unless of course you can find a guy or two to parade around in the scrap pieces just for the sheer entertainment of it all (this may or may not have happened during last years day of scarf making.  And there may or may not be any pictures to prove it).


Starting at the top, cut approximately 1 1/2 inch strips continuing all the way to the bottom.  Cut off the last seamed piece and throw it in your scrap pile.


Now grab each strip and stretch it.  I had to use a model to show you the correct technique.  Yes, her shirt is on inside out, no need for you to point that out.  Mine very well could have been too, but one will never know since I will not be photographed that early in the morning.  Kids are not very smart like that, so she let me snap away.



Stretch all of the pieces.  Then grab them all at once and give them a good stretch together to make sure they all end up being the same length.


See how the edges kind of curl in?  Be creative with it, you could mix colors for fun, or to show support for a team.


And here is the finished product.  She wore it all day and I can't even tell you how many compliments she received, to which she replied "I made it!".

The scarf is even light enough to throw on in warm temperatures, it is really more of a fashion accessory than it is for any warmth.

Perfect for my little fashionista.




7 comments:

  1. I know that my daughter and I will be making these soon...she is going to totally love 'em and they are soo inexpensive and easy!

    Thanks for sharing 'em at our linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very great idea. I am thankful I chanced upon your blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. It is so cute and super simple. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is really cute and so is your little girl! how do you keep all the pieces together? did you tie them or sow them, i can't tell from the picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I actually used an extra small scrap of the t-shirt to tie them together. But I have some that I didn't even bother to do that with. It is up to you. :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...